Sunday 15 August 2010

today i'm channelling... lauren conrad

I love LC. I think she's just great. I love her obsession with Chanel bags. I love the fact that she hates Spencer. I love that she told Audrina to her face that Justin Bobby physically disgusts her. Haha. And I love, love, love her swishy, golden glorious long hair. Truly the most lustworthy barnet in all of creation. In my opinion, Blake "apparently-owner-of-the-most-requested-hairstyle-in-New-York" Lively's 'do can't hold a candle to LC's luscious locks.

Most of all though, I love Lauren Conrad's sense of style. Sure, she might not be breaking any fashion rules and won't get any points for being avant garde anytime soon. But I don't think that's such a bad thing. Give me an LC over a Lady Gaga any day (and seriously, since when was throwing on the most ridiculous thing you can think of enough to grant you style icon status?? Not a fan of the Gaga). In my book, looking good triumphs over looking wacky any day of the week. And if there's one thing Lauren knows how to do, it's look good. She looks good when she walks the dog. She looks good when she goes to the salon. She looks good when she attends premieres/book signings/clothing line launches. And that's something I, for one, definitely strive to emulate.

After all, looking good at all times is no mean feat. But Miss Conrad knows the value of a few simple rules. 1) Dress for your body type. 2) Don't put all your assets on display. 3) Always, always have glossy, gorgeous hair. 4) Keep your make-up simple and classic. 5) Wear a Chanel bag and Louboutin shoes. And that's it, my friends. Five simple pathways to sartorial success. Take the picture I've chosen as an example. A slightly shapeless mustard dress would on almost anyone else be a recipe for disaster. But coupled with LC's Californian tan (NB, I do not condone actual tans. Fake if at all, please), golden, loosely waved hair, neutral accessories and a nice sprinkling of Chanel, said dress looks absolutely gorgeous. And that's why I've chosen it as today's blog subject. I do love a bit of mustard but it can be tricky to pull off, and sometimes we need a little bit of fashinspiration to nudge us in the right direction.

I've selected a gorgeous mustard item that acts as a perfect high-street substitute for LC's high-end frock.
Topshop's Mustard Tuck Shift Dress, £40, is not only a beautifully flattering shape and soft, wearable colour, but is also the perfect summer-into-autumn piece, making it the perfect starting ingredient for our fashion feast. To this you need only add a few tan accessories, so as not to detract from the dress' fabulous colour or over-complicate your look. First cinch your waist with Asos' Metal Keeper Super Skinny Belt, just £6 (for a very now look, dahling, point the belt loop downwards). Now add some tan strappy shoes; the ones I raved about in my first blog post would do nicely, but failing that, try River Island's Brown Caged Heel Sandals, £39.99. And finally, to top it off, a cute little Chanel 2.55.... but if you can't stretch to two grand, Asos' Nude Quilted Lock Across Body Bag is not a bad copycat for £15.

And there you have it. Easy, breezy, Conrad-style chic, perfect for late summer drinks or even a day at the office. Now all you need to do is put a cute little plait in your hair, a little bronzer on your cheeks, and you'll be ready to take on Hollywood (or at least Spencer Pratt). You might not be on the cutting edge of fashion, but you will certainly look good. Ain't nothing wrong with that.


Picture of Lauren Conrad:
Celebrity-gossip.net

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig